- HCSO warns residents of suspicious vehicle that drove by school bus stopPosted 7 hours ago
- PHOTO GALLERY: Durant Lacrosse Senior NightPosted 19 hours ago
- New four way stop added near downtownPosted 1 day ago
- Transportation meeting to be held Tuesday, March 31Posted 1 day ago
- Abandoned mobile homes caught on firePosted 1 day ago
- Hallback’s Bar and Grill joins chamberPosted 1 day ago
- Chili cook-off winners announcedPosted 1 day ago
- PHOTO GALLERY: Antioch Easter Egg HuntPosted 1 day ago
- PHOTO GALLERY: Raider athletics poker fundraiserPosted 2 days ago
- PHOTO GALLERY: Easter Egg Drop 2015Posted 3 days ago
Plant City welcomes Police Chief Steven Singletary
Assistant City Manager Bill McDaniel calls it The Longest Walk. It’s the path officers must take from sitting in front of the police chief’s desk to taking the chair behind it.
For new Police Chief Steven Singletary, The Longest Walk lasted 16 years.
In front of several dozen officers, friends, family members and city officials, Singletary replaced officially McDaniel as chief of the Plant City Police Department during an investiture ceremony April 8, at Plant City Hall.
McDaniel and City Manager Greg Horwedel honored Singletary in front of a packed auditorium.
“I am absolutely delighted to have him as part of our leadership team in Plant City,” Horwedel said. “When you make a sword, you need good steel. And I think we have good steel here leading our department. He’s the right man, at the right time, for the job.”
Singletary joined the department in 1996, as a patrol officer. Since then, he has held a myriad of positions, including field training officer, a post in the Street Crimes Unit, the U.S. Marshal’s Fugitive Task Force, the Criminal Investigations Unit and more. Singletary was serving as captain before he took over as interim chief four months ago.
“It’s been my pleasure to know Steve the last 16 years,” McDaniel said. “The police department has been my baby for a long time, and I am completely comfortable to say my baby is in very good hands.”
Singletary took the oath of office with his wife, Courtney, by his side.
“I am truly honored to be the chief of the Plant City Police Department,” he said.
Contact Michael Eng at firstname.lastname@example.org.