- City clerk elected to boardPosted 3 hours ago
- Ribbon Cutting: Simply EventsPosted 1 day ago
- Walden Lake residents collecting petition signaturesPosted 1 day ago
- HCFR extinguishes south P.C. home firePosted 1 day ago
- PHOTO GALLERY: Sing! America! Concert at Trinity United Methodist ChurchPosted 3 days ago
- PHOTO GALLERY: Downtown Merchant CarnivalPosted 3 days ago
- PHOTO GALLERY: Black Dog Farm Schooling ShowPosted 3 days ago
- PHOTO GALLERY: Servi-Todo grand openingPosted 3 days ago
- PHOTO GALLERY: Church of the Nazarene VBSPosted 3 days ago
- PHOTO GALLERY: Countryside Baptist VBSPosted 4 days ago
Plant City welcomes Police Chief Steven Singletary
Assistant City Manager Bill McDaniel calls it The Longest Walk. It’s the path officers must take from sitting in front of the police chief’s desk to taking the chair behind it.
For new Police Chief Steven Singletary, The Longest Walk lasted 16 years.
In front of several dozen officers, friends, family members and city officials, Singletary replaced officially McDaniel as chief of the Plant City Police Department during an investiture ceremony April 8, at Plant City Hall.
McDaniel and City Manager Greg Horwedel honored Singletary in front of a packed auditorium.
“I am absolutely delighted to have him as part of our leadership team in Plant City,” Horwedel said. “When you make a sword, you need good steel. And I think we have good steel here leading our department. He’s the right man, at the right time, for the job.”
Singletary joined the department in 1996, as a patrol officer. Since then, he has held a myriad of positions, including field training officer, a post in the Street Crimes Unit, the U.S. Marshal’s Fugitive Task Force, the Criminal Investigations Unit and more. Singletary was serving as captain before he took over as interim chief four months ago.
“It’s been my pleasure to know Steve the last 16 years,” McDaniel said. “The police department has been my baby for a long time, and I am completely comfortable to say my baby is in very good hands.”
Singletary took the oath of office with his wife, Courtney, by his side.
“I am truly honored to be the chief of the Plant City Police Department,” he said.
Contact Michael Eng at firstname.lastname@example.org.